Monday, August 8, 2011

Skinny Water, Big Browns & Quality Friendships

My friend Al called last week and said he wanted to get together and fish.  Our halfway meeting point was the Ausable River.  I tied up a bunch of fresh tricos with indicator posts for the trip.  I left them on the vice this morning and lost my sunglasses before the first cast. 
NOT looking like a good start. 
At the first pool, Al did a good job with the little mayfly, landing a nice brown then a rainbow.  I was "Ohfer".  We moved up river and went back at it.  After and hour or so, I spotted a nice fish just off the bank feeding on terrestrials as they dropped in the water from an overhanging bush.  Third cast and I was on with a heavy, then off.  We moved again, this time down river to pocket water.  After a few casts in some very skinny water, I found a deeper pocket across the river.  I cranked up the St. Croix and fired the stimulator cross-river to the farside pool and saw a flash under my fly.  Two more casts and everything came tight with this nice fella'.  2 hook ups and one to hand.  With a fish like this one, I'll take that anyday.

After spending the day together fishing, Al and I have resolved that we need to get together and fish more often.  Great Day!  The fish are just a bonus. 


TOMORROW- BATTENKILL WITH ALEC
- STAY TUNED-
WIFI "LIVE ON LOCATION" REPORT FROM THE CAMPGROUND SOMETIME AFTER DARK

No comments:

Post a Comment